Saturday, August 16, 2008

A girl's Best Friend

Nope, I'm not talking diamonds!

When I take our monthly b-day pics, I always put Ru on this red loveseat that I've had since I was a baby.

It's nice and low, sized for a child, so it works well, and the arms support Ru pretty well.

It's also a very nice height for a dog.



For the record, I put him up there, he knows better than to get up on the furniture. The kiss is all his own doing tho. He actually walked up while I was photographing and put his front paws on the seat in front of her and was licking her. But the back of the dog wasn't nearly as cute a picture, so I broke the rules and set him up on the chair next to her.

But the real point is it demonstrates a bigger picture. Sammy LOVES the baby. when we first brought her home, he woke at every little noise she made. I think he was more sleep deprived than Brian and I. But that wasn't necessarily evidence of affection.

Now that she's bigger, I'll put her on the floor on a blanket, or in her bouncy chair (which is just exactly the right height for Sammy) and then spend the next ten minutes chasing Sammy away from her. sometimes his kisses make her smile, sometimes she ignores them, and sometimes after I shove Sam away I see her sticking her tongue out, too. He comes back again and again. I've trained him to leave her toys alone, bring me the pacifier when he finds it on the floor (he would much rather play with it), and to keep his paws out of the way and be gentle around her. But I can't get him to stop kissing her. Even upon threatening him with the squirt bottle (the ultimate Sammy punishment, even tho it's just water) he sometimes will steal just one more lick before sulking away with his little ears down.

Ru also seems to like Sammy. She may not be very enthusiastic about his choice of display of affection (altho she has even laughed on occasion) she loves to watch him. Maybe it's the contrast of black spots on white, or his funny antics, but she loves to watch when we play fetch. since she has started grabbing, she's reached for him a couple times and felt his fur, altho there isn't much to grab on to. Will be interesting the first time she gets a good grip on his soft, sensitive ears... ;)

I do hope they will stay buddies, I think Sammy will be a great companion for our little Ru as she grows up. He's funny, very eager to please, loyal, and has mellowed out immensely since we brought Ru home. Fred won't likely be around much longer, and who knows, Sammy may break himself beyond fixing next time he does something really stupid. Or maybe he'll be our little girl's best friend for years to come.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: